The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is
Reasons to eat carrots
1/2 cup carrots is
- An excellent source of Vitamin A, providing more than 200% of the Daily Value.
- A good source of Vitamin K.
- A source of Vitamin C, fiber and potassium.
- The average person eats 17 pounds of carrots per year.
- Carrots contain about 90% water.
- Holtville, California is known as the "Carrot Capital of the World".
- Carrots were originally purple, white and yellow. The orange carrot was developed in the 16th century.
- Carrots are always in season. You can find them fresh, frozen or canned.
- Avoid carrots that feel soft or look wilted.
- If you buy carrots with the green tops, break the tops off before refrigerating . You can add the chopped green tops to soups for extra flavor.
- Buy rainbow carrots and find out which color carrots your family likes best.